Who We Are?
Kapaa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple has been serving Kauai since 1922. The temple belongs to the Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, one of the Pure Land Stream of Mahayana Buddhism. It is one of 36 temples affiliated with the Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii.
History of Kapaa Hongwanji
1910 - Kapaa Hongwanji started as the Kealia Hongwanji's branch (Fukyojo).
1922 - Kapaa Hongwanji became independent. Kapaa Hongwanji's first temple was constructed on land leased from the County of Kauai in September.
1929 - The temple was destroyed by fire.
1938 - Three parcels of land were purchased from the Territory of Hawaii. The YBA hall was constructed on the newly acquired land in February. A new temple was built in April.
1941 - The World War II years were difficult times for all Buddhist ministers in Hawaii. In December, Rev. Nishie was sent to a relocation camp on the mainland. During Rev. Nishie's internment, Mr. Jihei Miura was elected to take care of the "Butsudan." All facilities were used by the United States Army as Officers' Headquarters. It was also during this time that all properties belonging to Kapaa Hongwanji were deeded to Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii.
1956 - Kapaa Hongwanji's first monthly bulletin, "Spotlight" was published in January. The bulletin were hand-delivered by district representatives known as Chiho-riji.
1972 - The new temple was constructed and dedicated. In October Kapaa Hongwanji celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
1974 - Kealia Hongwanji closed and its thirty members joined Kapaa Hongwanji. Soon after, Kilauea and Hanalei Buddhists also became members.
1979 - English propagation started at Kapaa Hongwanji. Construction began on the recreation hall and kitchen complex.
1982 - The hall and kitchen complex was dedicated.
1991 - The temple completed major repairs and a ramp was installed. The members volunteered their time to paint the temple, hall and the parsonage.
1992 - In April, the 70th anniversary celebration for the temple included the 20th anniversary for the new temple building, 10th anniversary for the recreation hall and the kitchen. The Fujinkai's 80th anniversary was also celebrated.
1998 - A new name, "Oneness," was adopted for its monthly newsletter which was "Spotlight" for the past 40 years.
2002 - The new altar and ornaments were installed in the temple. In October, Kapaa Hongwanji had a triple celebration for the New Altar Dedication, 80th Kyodan Anniversary, and 90th Women's Association Anniversary.
2003 - A new sign facing Kuhio Highway was installed to publicize information on the services and special activities and welcome visitors to the temple.
2008 - A new temple bell from Japan and sound system for the hall were installed.
2012 - The columbarium refurbishing project for the Women's Association Centennial was completed in May. Due to the severe rainstorm in March the temple roof began to leak and damaged the ceiling. The temple was re-roofed in May. In October Kapaa Hongwanji Women's Association celebrates its Centennial Celebration.
Resident Ministers of Kapaa Hongwanji
Rev. Yoshio Ito (1922-1924)
Rev. Hiseki Miyasaki (1924)
Rev. Josen Deme (1924-1929)
Rev. Kyoei Toyoaki (1929-1939)
Rev. Hironori Nishii (1939-1941)
No minister - 2nd WW (1942-1945)
Rev. Konin Matano (1946-1948)
Rev. Shodo Umehara (1948-1950)
Rev. Seikaku Takesono (1950-1967)
Rev. Hiromi Kawaji (1968-1974)
Rev. Shinryu Fujio (1974-1976)
Rev. Kojin Suehira (1976-1979)
Rev. Nobuyuki Okamoto (1979-1981)
Rev. Seiki Kamakazu (1983)
Rev. Hosho Shindo (1983-1986)
Rev. Shinkai Murakami (1988-1995)
Rev. Henry Tanaka (1995-1998)
Rev. Koho Takata (1998-2005)
Rev. Mary David (2005-2006)
Rev. Kosho Yagi (2006-2009)
Rev. Kazunori Takahashi (2009-2015)
Rev. Mieko Majima (2015-Present)